ASQA given additional powers to seek civil penalties and issue infringement notices
On 12 July 2018, the Governor-General, Sir Peter Cosgrove AK MC made the National Vocational Education and Training Regulator Amendment (Enforcement and Other Measures) Regulations 2018(NVR Regulation Amendment 2018).
The NVR Regulation Amendment 2018 allows ASQA to seek civil penalties for breaches of the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (the Standards), even in cases where a provider has since rectified that breach.
This legislative change enhances ASQA’s capacity to effectively support the quality of the VET sector by providing an additional mechanism to protect students from poor-quality providers.
ELICOS course template now available
The Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) has developed a course proposal template for use by providers applying to register English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) on the Commonwealth Register for Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
ASQA has developed this template in response to feedback from providers seeking guidance and a consistent format for providing evidence to demonstrate compliance against ‘Standard C1—Mandatory requirements for course applications’ of the ELICOS Standards 2018.
The use of this template is strongly recommended but not mandatory.
Cancellation of registration as a provider of vocational education and training (VET) services:
- Captain Cook Institute Pty Ltd (RTO number 91707; trading as George Brown College). Decision to take effect on 23 August 2018.
- Australian Accredited College Institute Pty Ltd (RTO number 45146). Decision to take effect on 23 August 2018.
- Wood Group PSN Australia Pty Ltd (RTO number 41287). Decision to take effect on 27 August 2018.
- Universal Training Centre Pty Ltd (RTO number 41167). Decision to take effect on 27 August 2018.
- Oztech Trade Training College Pty Ltd (RTO Number 40997). Decision to take effect on 29 August 2018.
Rejection of application to renew registration as a provider of VET services:
- Australian Higher Education Services Pty Ltd (RTO number 91116; trading as Sydney College of Business and Information Technology). Decision to take effect on 23 August 2018.
Extension to transition period for Advanced Diploma, Diploma of Accounting qualifications
The Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) has approved an extension to the transition period for the FNS50215 Diploma of Accounting and FNS60215 Advanced Diploma of Accounting.
The qualifications were superseded in February 2018 by the FNS50217 Diploma of Accounting and FNS60217 Advanced Diploma of Accounting, which are not equivalent. As a result, current learners were initially given until 12 February 2019 to complete their training and assessment.
However, learners transitioning to the replacement qualifications must meet additional entry requirements. This would genuinely disadvantage any learners in the superseded qualifications who are unable to complete the qualifications by 12 February 2019.
As such, ASQA has agreed to an extended training, assessment and certification issuance period for these qualifications, which will end on 12 February 2020.
For more information, please visit ASQA’s websitehttps://www.asqa.gov.au/news-publications/news